04 November 2012

die Präsidentenwahl 2012

One of the strongest deterrents in my decision to study for a year abroad was the idea of missing out on the political atmosphere in the US during the first presidential election in which I was allowed to vote.  I guess as some form of patriotism, it only seemed right that I would actually, physically be in my own country the first time I voted for the president of my own country.

Now, I'm not sure if that little detail is actually as important as it once seemed.  In fact, I think it might have even been more beneficial to be abroad during the time leading up to the election.  Somehow, I feel like I had the privilege of looking at the candidates through a much clearer lens than I would have if I were in the US.  No, I don't suggest that the cloudiness and deception that often occurs in political news was somehow washed away by the waves of the Atlantic, but when I did read, hear, or watch something pertaining to the election, I had the opportunity to reflect upon it independently, instead of being pummeled by potentially exaggerated or extremely biased reactions cycloning around me.

It has also been incredibly enlightening hear opinions about both Romney and Obama from people all over the world.  The outcome of this election affects far more than just Americans, and the small sample of Europe that I've conversed with seems to be at a consensus on which candidate they think should take the throne.

With the election just days away, every second counts.  Every single move Romney and Obama make is being meticulously picked apart by the press, the people, and, rater unfortunately, the opposing candidate.  What has perhaps become most clear to me throughout this election is exactly why the decision-making process in our country is more of a fight (at times, war), than a compromise for the good of the many.

Watching the presidential debates has been almost impossible.  Every interruption, every cry of the falsity of the other candidate's claim, every comeback, put-down, and attempt to slash the opponent's reputation in whatever way possible rapidly made me lose respect for both candidates. Their behavior literally drowned out whatever messages they may have been trying to send about their plans for the future. It also led me to question how either of these men, as president, would conduct himself as a representative of our country in an international situation which requires them to defend the US and their decisions, when they couldn't even do that for themselves in front of the American people - the people who are watching their every move, using that as a basis to decide their future - without bickering like children.

The press doesn't give political reports without clearly identifying the party affiliated with a certain opinion or quote.  As if being Democrat or Republican is more important than the individual's opinion on a topic.  The candidates' websites, at times, concentrate more on why their opponent is wrong than what they are going to do for our country.  This political culture in America, which concentrates so heavily on the faults of the opponents rather than the advantages of the candidates, is not encouraging us to vote based on capability, reliability, and faith in a candidate, but rather to abstain from voting for the [more] incapable and unreliable candidate. In other words, we're avoiding the worst instead of electing the best.

The negativity on which politics in America run today is breeding competition.  And I'm no expert, but I can only assume that a country would function better by working together, rather than ripping each other apart. That said, I hope that on voting day, you (Americans) choose not to see the election terms of red and blue.  I hope that you have acquainted yourselves with the character, the capability, the platforms (not to mention the practical feasibility of the platforms), and the potential of both Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney. I hope that you acknowledge the power of your vote, have thoroughly thought through what consequences your vote will bring to the American people (and the rest of the world..), and have not simply made your decision based on the Red-Blue/Elephant-Donkey/Right-Left, hostility-breeding, political back-and-forth in which we have been fermenting, but rather according to your specific personal values and how the candidates align with those values.

Note:  For those who are still looking for an unbiased and factual summary of the two candidates in terms of the feasibility of their promises, their character, and their advantages and disadvantages in general, click here for a very well-written article from The Economist.

No comments:

Post a Comment