22 May 2012

i always feel like my tongue is swelling on airplanes



I tried to put on some eye shadow to disguise the film of grime covering my body after my seven-hour flight to Frankfurt.  Not only did it fail to make me look any less disgusting, but I now also appear to have not slept a wink in months instead of looking only slightly sleepy, which I am.  I got a pretty decent five hours on the plane once the NyQuil kicked in and I couldn’t hear the babies screaming anymore.  Of course, I was interrupted by the TWO MEALS and FIVE ROUNDS OF DRINKS they served us.  I mean, come on.  It was only seven hours.  Plus, my reservation mentioned nothing about being served a meal, so I naturally bought a sandwich right before I boarded to prevent starvation.  So three meals in seven hours.  You might be thinking, “Well, Jenna, why didn’t you just not eat one (or two) of the meals?”  Here’s the deal:  Molly and I have spent the past week at Tufts eating off of a Pay-For-Chipotle-In-Coins kind of budget, so I’m not currently in the position to turn down any type of free food.  [Note:  Lufthansa serves beer and wine like they’re apple juice and offers you cognac or Bailey’s after your meal.  Hello, Europe.]

Once I woke up from my nap, the Italian man sitting next to me had just finished his coffee and was feeling quite chatty.  For those of you who don’t know, Jenna Kertz is not a morning (or even post-nap) person.  But I decided to suppress my anti-sociality (trying new things, right?) and entertain him.  He talked about his 17 year-old nephew who is in America trying to make it as a hockey goalie and how European homes are built better than American homes.  He also told me a story about how he got arrested in America once for trying to parachute down a ski slope.  I’d say, overall, it was worth sacrificing an hour of napping.

No comments:

Post a Comment